January 30, 2010

Voting against our own interest and popular rage

I was looking through several different websites today and I came across an article from the BBC that talks about why President Obama and the Democrats had such a miserable time selling health care insurance reform to Americans who are most in need of it.  There are a couple of points in here that I think are slightly off, but over all it was a really good and eye opening article.  I strongly encourage you to read it.

Why do people often vote against their own interests?

I have to digest this information for a bit, but I can see how the comments in it could influence my own rhetoric in how I talk to people, what I write, and generally argue for improving the lives of the American people.  Once we understand why those who should be on our side are not, I think we can better construct our arguments to influence them.  The facts may be on our side, but there is an old joke that applies as well.  Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.  This is wise political advice and something to consider when trying to get our message across.

No comments:

Post a Comment